Requesting a Travel Authorization Signature

A student who needs a new travel signature should submit a Travel Authorization Request in the iVols portal as early as possible, and at least two weeks prior to traveling. After logging into iVols with your NetID and password, you will find this request in the Student Services section.

Then be sure to fill out and submit the E-form. ISSS must certify that the student is maintaining legal status and full-time enrollment before signing or issuing a new I-20/DS-2019 for travel. The ISSS advisor will also verify that the information on your I-20/DS-2019 is accurate and up to date. For example, we will confirm that the program of study listed on your I-20 is correct. Once the review of all of the necessary details is complete, an ISSS advisor will process your request. Do not bring your current I-20 to the CGE reception desk. ISSS will issue a new I-20 for you with a valid travel signature. An advisor will send the new I-20 to you by email. This form I-20 is considered an original, signed document as per the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Policy Guidance, Use of Electronic Signatures and Transmission for the Form I-20, issued on October 21, 2021. This guidance is available at

If the F-1 visa has expired, students must apply for a new F-1 visa before returning to the U.S. If the student has a multiple entry visa and the visa has not expired, then a new visa will not be required before traveling, as long as the SEVIS number on the I-20 form matches the SEVIS number (annotation #) on the current visa.

If a J-1 student has transferred to UT from another school and therefore has a different program date, program number, or sponsor listed on their visa, they must apply for a new J-1 visa before returning to the US.

Travel to Canada, Mexico, and adjacent islands (except Cuba)

F-1/J-1 students are permitted to re-enter the US after a single visit of no more than 30 days to a contiguous territory (Canada, Mexico, and adjacent islands) without having to obtain a new visa prior to re-entry. This rule, known as Automatic Re-validation of Visa, even applies to F-1/J-1 students with an expired visa.


  • Citizens from certain countries (Iran, Syria, Sudan, and Cuba) are not eligible for the automatic re-validation of visa benefit. Check with US Customs and Border Protection to find recent information on which countries are excluded.

  • Students who choose to apply for a new visa while in a contiguous territory will not be eligible for automatic re-validation of visa benefit. Students will have to wait until a visa is granted in order to re-enter the US. If the visa is denied, the student must return to their home country directly from the contiguous territory.

  • Students whose visit goes beyond 30 days.

  • Students who travel outside of the contiguous territories (for example, they visit their home country from Mexico, return directly to Mexico, and then try to re-enter the US) will not be allowed to re-enter the US on automatic visa revalidation.

  • Graduate students who are citizens of the People’s Republic of China with student visas who currently or previously received funding from, are employed by, study at or conduct research for organizations supporting the military-civil fusion strategy.

U.S. Customas and Border Protection (CBP) Automatic Visa Revalidation Information

US State Department Foreign Affairs Manual—Automatic Visa Revalidation Information

FINAL NOTE: Students should provide copies of any new passport, visa, or I-94 record to ISSS after re-entry to the US.