Completing the Initial Immigration Check In

Who needs to complete the initial check in?

An initial immigration check in is required for all new F and J students. This includes students transferring from another school, students pursuing a new degree program at the University of Tennessee, and students who are returning on a newly issued form I-20 or DS-2019.

What does it do?

The initial immigration check is required by Federal regulation in order to activate your immigration status. We do this by registering your record with the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Once this is done, you will be able to apply for a Driver’s License, complete an on-campus employment verification (form I-9), and apply for a social security number.

What do I need to complete the Check In?

In order to complete the check in, you must be physically in the U.S. and have the following available:

  1. Your physical address in the U.S.;

  2. a scan of your passport;

  3. a scan of your visa (some students may not have this);

  4. a copy of your form I-94 from the Click on “Get Most Recent I-94” to access the form;

  5. other immigration documents (most students will not have these);

  6. scans of your dependents documents (if you have dependents).

How to Complete the Check In

Step One:

Go to and select the iVols Portal link.

iVols Portal Screenshot

Step Two:

Select the and log in to your iVols portal. This is the same username and password you use to log in to your University of Tennessee email (Volmail) account.

Step Three:

Once you are in the iVols portal, select the Orientation and Immigration Check-in Checklist option.

Image of iVols Home Page


Step Four:

Scroll down top the “Complete Immigration Check-in” tab and click the plus sign to expand the list.



Step Five:

The “Complete Immigration Check-in” tab lists the Immigration Check-in form that must be completed as part of the check in process. Complete this process after your arrival in the U.S. If you need help completing this process, you can contact or visit the International Student and Scholars Office following the instructions at .