Finding Housing in Knoxville

On-Campus Housing

On-campus housing for new and incoming undergraduate and graduate students can apply for housing on campus. Information for new students who wish to apply for on-campus housing can be found here:

A list of The University of Tennessee’s housing options, including building features, room details, and building capacity can be found here:

The University of Tennessee also provide students with the opportunity to live in a community surrounded by a close-knit peer group, all pursuing a common goal, sharing the same interest in academic-affiliated disciplines, pre-professional programs, leadership development, or interdisciplinary fields. More information can be found here:

Important, all first-year undergraduate students are required to live on-campus. On-campus housing is NOT typically available for transfer and graduate students.

On-Campus Initial Expenses

Students living on-campus housing must be prepared to pay the full amount of their full semester on-campus housing and meal plan at the beginning of each semester.

Off-Campus Housing

Finding off-campus housing when you first arrive can be difficult. Most apartments require long-term leases of at least 12 months. It is common for most landlords/apartment leasing managers to require you to pay a deposit which is equal to one month’s rent when you sign a lease for a house or an apartment as well as the first and last month of rent upon move-in. Make sure to read through the terms of your lease carefully before signing. By signing a lease, you are promising to pay the landlord/apartment leasing managers for the entire time listed on the lease. Ending a lease early or violating the lease agreement can cost you the rental deposit.

For help understanding everything you need to know about renting a house or an apartment, please visit the UT off-campus housing website for renters: .

Important, we recommend that you read through the renter’s guides on Off-Campus Housing Resource page before you begin your search for rental housing.

Finding Off-Campus Housing

The internet webpages are one of the most common resources for finding rentals in Knoxville. We have a list of commonly used sites below:

  1. (apartments)

  2. (apartments)

  3. Apartment Search (apartments)

  4. (apartments and houses)

  5. Zillow (houses)

  6. (houses)

The website linked above are non-University websites. The International Student and Scholar Services at the University of Tennessee provides links to this and other, third-party sites solely as a convenience to the user. The University of Tennessee does not sponsor, maintain, warrant or endorse any of these sites and is not responsible for their accuracy or content.

You are encouraged to do your own research on housing options and contact the apartment complex or house landlords directly to get most up-to-date information about their availability.

Off-Campus Initial Expenses

Students and scholars planning to live off-campus in an apartment or a house should make a budget and prepare to bring money to cover their start-up expenses they will have upon arrival.

Important, before you sign any lease, please make sure to review UT’s Off-Campus Housing resources!

Your expenses at the time you sign your lease and during the first week in your apartment or house may be equal to 3 months of your monthly budget for the year. We highly encourage our students and scholars to bring or have available $3,000-$5,000 (USD) for start up expenses during your first weeks.

Even those who are on scholarship or will receive stipends or payroll must keep in mind that your first stipend payment or paycheck may not come until several weeks after the beginning of the semester or after you begin on-campus work.

Off-campus housing and initial start up expenses include:

Rental fees and deposits for off-campus apartments

-first and last month of rent paid at time of move-in (i.e. 2months of rent).

-security deposits may also be required and can be equal to 1-6months of rent depending on whether or not you have a co-signer or have established credit in the U.S.

-Most apartments require other fees, including application fees, administration fees, green fees, cleaning fees, and pet fees if you have pets.

It is also a good idea to purchase "renter’s insurance" to protect against losses caused by fire, theft, or vandalism. This kind of insurance covers personal belongings in your house or apartment. It also covers damages for which you would be legally liable if a fire or other accident that was your fault damaged the apartment building and/or the property of other renters.

The cost of renter’s insurance is relatively low but can vary depending on the value of your possessions. Contact information for insurance agents can be found online.

Utility deposits may be required for services that are not included with your property rental. Check with your apartment to see what utilities are included with your rental and which utilities you will need to set up separately. There utility services may include:

-electricity (KUB)

-water & sewer (KUB)

-gas (KUB)

-Internet (Xfinity, AT&T, Spectrum, etc. - depending on your apartment choice, the internet service provider might be different)

-garbage and recycling and other services (pest control)

Small purchases for bedding, utensils, cookware, etc.

Large purchases such as furniture, computer, tv, etc.

Initial consumables such as groceries, toiletries, and supplies

Transportation (whether purchasing a car, using public transportation, or using rideshares such as Uber or Lyft)